Tuesday, November 18, 2008

1 comment:

Stephanie Meier said...

Hi All --

I wanted to share this with you. It's called "Invisible Mother" -- I received it today and I am not real savvy at copying and pasting, but I think you can understand the message. Enjoy!


Invisible Mother.....
> >
> > It all began to make sense, the blank stares, the lack of response,
> the way one of the kids will walk into the room while I'm on the phone
> and ask to be taken to the store. Inside I'm thinking, 'Can't you see
> I'm on the phone?' Obviously not; no one can see if I'm on the phone,
> or cooking, or sweeping the floor, or even standing on my head in the
> corner, because no one can see me at all. I'm invisible. The invisible
> Mom. Some days I am only a pair of hands, nothing more: Can you fix this
> ? Can you tie this? Can you open this??
> >
> > Some days I'm not a pair of hands; I'm not even a human being. I'm a
> clock to ask, 'What time is it?' I'm a satellite guide to answer,
> 'What number is the Disney Channel?' I'm a car to order, 'Right
> around 5:30, please.
> >
> > I was certain that these were the hands that once held books and the
> eyes that studied history and the mind that graduated summa cum laude -
> but now they had disappeared into the peanut butter, never to be seen
> again. She's going, she's going, she's gone!?
> >
> > One night, a group of us were having dinner, celebrating the return of
> a friend from England . Janice had just gotten back from a fabulous
> trip, and she was going on and on about the hotel she stayed in. I was
> sitting there, looking around at the others all put together so well. It
> was hard not to compare and feel sorry for myself. I was feeling pretty
> pathetic, when Janice turned to me with a beautifully wrapped package,
> and said, 'I brought you this.' It was a book on the great Cathedrals of
> Europe . I wasn't exactly sure why she'd given it to me until I read her
> inscription: 'To Charlotte , with admiration for the greatness of what
> you are building when no one sees.'
> >
> > In the days ahead I would read - no, devour - the book. And I would
> discover what would become for me, four life-changing truths, after
> which I could pattern my work: No one can say who built the great
> Cathedrals - we have no record of their names. These builders gave t
> heir whole lives for a work they would never see finished. They made
> great sacrifices and expected no credit. The passion of their building
> was fueled by their faith that the eyes of God saw everything.
> >
> > A legendary story in the book told of a rich man who came to visit the
> cathedral while it was being built, and he saw a workman carving a tiny
> bird on the inside of a beam. He was puzzled and asked the man, 'Why are
> you spending so much time carving that bird into a beam that will be
> covered by the roof, No one will ever see it. And the workman replied,
> 'Because God sees.'
> >
> > I closed the book, feeling the missing piece fall into place. It was
> almost as if I heard God whispering to me, 'I see you, ------ put your
> name here----. I see the sacrifices you make every day, even when no one
> around you does. No act of kindness you've don e, no sequin you've sewn
> on, no cupcake you've baked, is too small for me to notice and smile
> over. You are building a great cathedral, but you can't see right now
> what it will become.
> >
> > At times, my invisibility feels like an affliction. But it is not a
> disease that is erasing my life. It is the cure for the disease of my
> own self-centeredness. It is the antidote to my strong, stubborn pride.
> I keep the right perspective when I see myself as a great builder. As
> one of the people who show up at a job that they will never see
> finished, to work on something that their name will never be on. The
> writer of the book went so far as to say that no cathedrals could ever
> be built in our lifetime because there are so few people willing to
> sacrifice to that degree.
> >
> > When I really think about it, I don't want my son to tell the f riend
> he's bringing home from college for Thanksgiving, 'My Mom gets up at 4
> in the morning and bakes homemade pies, and then she hand bastes a
> turkey for three hours and presses all the linens for the table.' That
> would mean I'd built a shrine or a monument to myself. I just want him
> to want to come home. And then, if there is anything more to say to his
> friend, to add, 'You're gonna love it there.'
> >
> > As mothers, we are building great cathedrals. We cannot be seen if
> we're doing it right. And one day, it is very possible that the world
> will marvel, not only at what we have built, but at the beauty that has
> been added to the world by the sacrifices of invisible women.
> >
> > Great Job, MOM! I love you!
> >
> > Share this with all the Invisible Moms you know... I just did.
> >
> > The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not
> protect you.
> >
> > This is beautiful and makes a ton of sense. To all the wonderful
> mothers out there.

Something To Think About...

Servants do every task with equal dedication. Whatever they do, servants do it with all their heart. (Colossians 3:23 NIV)

Music We're Inspired By


In Heaven, All the Glory Belongs To God.