Monday, November 10, 2008

Read A Good Book Lately?

As I packed last Thursday to get on the plane for Santa Fe, I grabbed a book off the "to read one day" pile that I have collecting dust by my bedside. The book, "Three Weeks With My Brother," by Nicholas Sparks, of "The Notebook," fame, had been given to me at some point but I had never actually examined the content.

Turns out it was the perfect book to read. Okay, everybody ..... "Coincidence? I think not." The book reads like fiction, but is a factual account of the author, as he embarks on a three week adventure with his brother. While Sparks illustrates the amazing places they visit, like India, Cambodia, Australia and Peru, he also flashes back to his childhood and young adulthood. Just as all of us, he has ups and downs, highlights and tragedies, insecurities and strengths. He is also Catholic, so he reflects often about his faith, the faith of his brother, and how that faith can get you through hard times. Although he paraphrases the version that is found in our Bible, he refers to First Corinthians, Chapter 10, verse 13. I thought I would share it with everyone today. This is directly from "Three Weeks With My Brother:"

"God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the same time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out."

I hope this brings comfort or reflection to you today. Definitely something to think about, straight from a good book ... or a Good Book! See you tonight!

No comments:

Something To Think About...

Servants do every task with equal dedication. Whatever they do, servants do it with all their heart. (Colossians 3:23 NIV)

Music We're Inspired By


In Heaven, All the Glory Belongs To God.